Dave has had the same stocking for years, since he was a kid I think. It's made up of crocheted granny squares in a thick acrylic yarn. Each year, Santa fights with it trying to fill it with goodies that it doesn't seem to want to accept. Anything other than small foil-wrapped chocolates, chap stick, or maybe a deck of cards gets snagged on one of the many holes on the way down, and there is little to no stretch for even slightly bigger items. Plus, for whatever reason, the feeling of the yarn gives me the willies.
Of course, I didn't say anything for years because of Dave's presumed sentimental attachment. After years of suffering in silence (so noble! so unlike me!), I made some comment about it being a PITA. Turns out, nope. No attachment there. What's more, he also has the same willies feeling from the yarn. This was a very, very small problem I could fix! I decided to make a new stocking, and I set myself the challenge of only using yarns that I already had on hand to keep it thrifty and interesting.
Lots of free patterns available online, no surprise. I choose this Snowman Stocking from Bernat for a few reasons: it's super cute, offers moderate level of challenge, and it uses many different colours in small amounts. Plus, I found the back view adorable.
I had fun picking out the mishmash of colours. The only one I bought was white worsted because I didn't think I'd have enough in my odds and ends, and what I had veered to more creamy shades anyway. I used a coupon at Michaels, so it fits with the thrifty theme.
No memory of where the lime green or navy blue came from. The variegated blue and green I bought just before Lily was born. I remember vaguely thinking I'd use it for something for "the baby," then when the baby arrived I had no time or mental energy for knitting for probably 6 years. The yellow was from a box of yarns my dad's friend gave us when his wife left him (drama! but they've been back together for years now so water long under the bridge). The black was from my grandma's sewing box. The variegated green was from this project, and I held it double. The orange was from a variegated cotton yarn for dishcloths. I was particularly proud of digging that up because I really didn't want to buy a skein for maybe a yard of use.
I thoroughly enjoyed this project, and I didn't even mind too much weaving in all the ends, which is usually the bane of my existence. I can't wait until Santa sees it!